I’ve been making this dish for over 40 years. I created it as a 4H project, entering it into a 4H contest one year in high school. I’ve tweaked it slightly over the years, but basically it’s about the same.
This dish is always a favorite for anyone who tries it. It is hearty, satisfying, and full of flavor.
I always love the sizzling sound of this dish when I take it out of the oven. Click the video to hear it.
Donna's Chicken Biscuit Casserole
- 1 whole chicken shredded
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 can grand-style biscuits
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 stick butter or margerine
- Boil whole chicken in seasoned water until the meat falls off the bone, about 60 minutes. Remove from pot when done.
- Once chicken has cooled enough to touch, debone and shred.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice onion and bell pepper.
- Melt butter in large pan over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and bell pepper to pan, stirring occasionally, until softened, and onions are translucent.
- Add soup to pan, and stir.
- Add shredded chicken to pan and stir.
- Let chicken mixture simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add egg and sour cream to pan and stir.
- Add half of the cheese to pan and stir.
- Separate biscuits (pulling apart in half, top and bottom). Place one layer of biscuits on bottom of large glass pan (9x13).
- Pour chicken mixture over biscuits.
- Place last layer of biscuits on top of chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over biscuits.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 30 minutes.